Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sad But True

I don’t need help because if I can’t help myself I can’t be helped.
--Amy Winehouse

My brother turned me onto the soulful sound of Amy Winehouse last year. While her music is amazing and deeply moving Ms. Winehouse is a sad character. I'll spare you the details but we've all seen some rendering of VH1's Behind the Music. Any and all troubles detailed by the VH1 series would apply to this artist. Ms. Winehouse is the subject of yet another string of gossip column press this week. Its too bad that a person so amazing and talented on the one score can't seem to get it together elsewhere.

I found out that if you Google "Amy Winehouse" and "trainwreck" the search generates 76,600 hits. Ouch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I avoided listening to Amy Winehouse for a long time because her personal life seemed to overshadow any artistic merit she might possess. I saw a video on VH1.com and was just captivated. The fact that she is such an amazing talent who cannot seem to get her shit together is all the more sad.-Colleen

Melissa said...

Uh, I know. Her music is so soulful and rich but watching her life unfold in the gossip mags feels like a strike to my solar plexus. She makes me recoil all crumpled and broken.