Friday, June 27, 2008

It's What's for Dinner

I have long believed that good food, good eating is all about risk.
- Anthony Bourdain Kitchen Confidential

We were divvying up the vegetable box from the Community Supported Agriculture program last night and came across a kohlrabi. Now I don't want to make the CSA program sound like it fills your house with odd looking vegetables. For the most part the weekly box of greens is filled with everyday items like onions, tomatoes, berries, snow peas, etc. But this kohlrabi was thrown in for the more adventurous crowd.

N let out an involuntary ew. She was aghast by the space-alien-looking vegetable occupying her father's hand. She dared us to eat it.

McK and I looked at each other warily waiting for the other to flinch. Turns out a kohlrabi is from the cabbage family, and the CSA box contained a salad recipe for it. Taking the cabbage relation, the recipe, and the dare into account it was pretty clear what we were having for dinner. It was actually really good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking into joining a similar program (eating local, supporting local farmers). Sounds like an adventure in and of itself.

Love you!-colleen

Melissa said...

I can't recommend programs like this highly enough. The program strikes a chord with me in the sense that its supporting local growers, lessening my carbon footprint, and delicious. The space alien vegetable which dared McKibbin and me to eat it was a definite bonus!