Friday, July 8, 2011

The Zoo

I met up with two of my favorite people tonight for a short stint at the Zoo bar. As always the place was packed and a fabulous blues band was playing on stage. The Zoo isn't the sort of bar where you chat and catch up, it's the beer-grabbing sort of a place where you orbit the music.

Little known fact: my first love was dancing. Still is.

This evening I noticed that while I don't speak of how enamored I am with dancing it must be readily apparent. Embarrassingly so, I guess. I've never been to the Zoo without some stranger asking me to dance. It's an offer I'll always find some way to politely decline.

Having a stranger interrupt a crowded table is uniquely unfamiliar in the Midwest, I think. The move even more brash by asking one member of the table to dance. The whole Midwestern evening out is marked by an ethos to come-stay-and-leave with the same two or three people. I'm rather fond of this bar etiquette. I've been a life-long practitioner of it myself.

I do love to dance, though. And, although it's an offer I don't accept, it's nice to be asked.

2 comments:

B said...

and we loved that you came out to shake your booty!

Melissa said...

Ah, thanks so much for the invite. I hope you and the lovely Ms. K had a great night. See you again soon, I hope.