Sunday, July 10, 2011

Declaring Victory

Two years ago I decided to get crackin' on the idea that Naomi could and should learn to help keep the house clean. I was staring down the gun barrel of adolescence and thought if I didn't get this idea planted before the age of eleven, it's going to be a lot (uh, a LOT) more difficult.

Nothing huge. I just hoped my kiddo could understand that laundry doesn't fold itself, refrigerators require periodic cleaning, floors get mopped, smudged tables get wiped down, etc. A basic understanding of what needs doing and a vague idea of how to do it.


We set Sunday as our cleaning day. I'd make her a list each week of her domestic responsibilities. It was tough going at the start, actually. And there were a lot of conversations about child-labor laws and how other kids aren't required to clean up the house. Other moms are, obviously, nicer. But we also developed a mix of music to blast from the stereo and celebratory outings to take once the house was clean. Bit by bit she catches on.

At this point the cleaning list is part of any normal Sunday. It's like our pizza habit on Friday nights, or brushing teeth before school...it's part of the routine. And it's a concept planted before adolescence, so, I feel pretty good about that.

_____________
Dinner Plans: Tricked Out Baked Potato Bar (N's "cooking")
Anxiously Anticipating:Indigo Bridge Books' next Eco-friendly film series event on Thursday. Open Harvest Coop tasting starts @ 7pm, the documentary film @ 7:30pm.
My Sunday Bike Ride: 10.5 miles along the Salt Creek Levy Trail.
Recent Goodness: Seeing this photo of the smoke-trail left by the final launch for NASA’s Space Shuttle program. (Thanks, Maija!)
Upcoming event I'm not sure how I feel about: My 20 yr High School Reunion is next weekend. I think I need a new dress.

No comments: