Monday, July 25, 2011

Bus Stop


We’ve spent another summer acclimating Naomi to Lincoln’s bus system. There’s quite a bit to wrap your mind around with the routes, schedules, transfers, Saturday versus weekday service, etc.

Standing at the stop I’ve coached her to signal the bus driver. She could understand the practicality of it. Kids are commonly overlooked in various settings, particularly if they’re unaccompanied by an adult. So it wasn’t an instruction I had to give twice.

I was unprepared for the sight of her, though, standing up to sling her backpack over one shoulder. The way she’ll face forward to the oncoming traffic her skinny arm outstretched over her head to give a deliberate, self-assured wave to hail the driver’s attention.

It inspires this lump in my throat feeling of admiration and loss and love.
_____________________________
Currently Reading: New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
Glad I Attended: 39 Steps at Nebraska Summer Repertory Theater. Fun, fun, fun!
Personal Soundtrack: All Things Lenny Kravitz
Quote of My Day:
"Since my diagnosis, there's no question I've had some of the best days of my life." (William Lauer) Read this article about his ALS diagnosis and journey thus far.
Sunday Bike Ride: 18miles Along the Jamaica Trail (thanks, Becki!)

1 comment:

B said...

I just love how you consistently shine a little light on the small victories and simple wonders of life. Thank you!