Thursday, January 13, 2011

Desert Island

Naomi was brushing her teeth this morning and I was angled over her, looking around on the bathroom shelf for my makeup. I have a terrible habit of slipping my mascara into my coat pocket or wandering around with my powder blush which means my cosmetics (such as they are) tend to be littered all over the house.

Naomi rolled her eyes at me. I thought this was the typical eye-roll to let me know I'm being ridiculous some how.

Naomi: If you're stranded on a desert island, mom, and you can only take one thing of make up...
Me: ...yes?
Naomi: ...take lipstick.
Me: Really?
Naomi: Yep, lipstick. You can use it...you know...on your lips. It rubs around on your cheeks, too, to make you look all embarrassed.
Me:
As blush, you mean?
Naomi: Uh-uh. And, in a pinch, you can smear some on your eyelids.
Me: Sounds pretty useful.
Naomi: Mom...(eye-roll)...there's nothing useful about make up. But if you have to take something to a desert island: take lipstick.

____________________
Other things I've learned from this desert-island game. If you're stranded on a desert island and you can only take one...
...food: pasta (Naomi), buttered-toast (me)
...book: Harry Potter (Naomi), Interpreter of the Maladies (me)
...game: Plants v. Zombies (Naomi), Scrabble (me)
...song: Sparks Fly by Taylor Swift (Naomi), Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings (me)
...smell: hot chocolate (Naomi), wet grass (me)
...person: Isabel (Naomi), Naomi (me)

No comments: