Thursday, January 27, 2011

Turbine


Excuse me while I completely gear-head-geek out over my job for a sec with this photo. It's a glam shot of the Westinghouse Combustion Turbine, Dual-Fuel, 27 MW, unit installed and operational in 1972.

The unit isn't often dispatched for power production. It is, however, only slightly older than I am. It was due to be either retired or undergo some serious maintenance. Given the shared vintage between me and this machine I was pleased when LES opted for the maintenance route in 2009. This was the first complete turbine over-haul performed on this Westinghouse.

I'm standing on the roof, here, to get a proper vantage point. If you're at all familiar with the sweaty palms and panic attack I'll have at even moderate heights, you can appreciate why somebody marked the moment. I'll scale tall buildings if I have to - I just don't often find an occasion where I have to.

_______________
A big shout out to: My brother M@. Happy Birthday, man. How 'bout you let me bake you a cake?
QOTD: The best way out is always through (Robert Frost)

2 comments:

m@ said...

thanks for the shout-out and the text, melis. you're the best.

Melissa said...

Sure thing, M@! You're my favorite Aquarian. XO.