Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Out With The Old

Until recently an ugly, stained carpet occupied the upstairs of our house. The carpet was one of those eye sores that bothered me at first sight. I’d mutter with disgust every time I’d vacuum. Tried prettying up the space with tapestries and throw rugs. Encouraged guests to stay downstairs. But, with the New Year, I woke up and I couldn’t stand it anymore.I cornered my husband as he got ready for work. Had him talk me through the job. He had time to help me move the heavy armoire out of the way.

My three-day weekend was consumed by scoring the carpet and ripping it out. Lugging it downstairs. McKibbin would come home from work and find me scrubbing the floor surface. Three days of being dusted and gunked up at the elbows and knees. A kink in my neck that no amount of Icy Hot or Advil could knock out.

Naomi was thrilled to find her mattress temporarily located on the floor in our bedroom. The adventure of it was like camping, she said, without the bare ground or the bugs.

On his days off McKibbin took my amateur remodeling job and snazzed it up. He sanded and stained the oak surface.

Six days all told. Six days of sweat and soreness. Lots of take-out food and loud music in our house. More sawdust in stranger locations than I recall ever finding before. Naomi behaving like a free-range kid and finding ways to help or to entertain herself.

But six days into the New Year we unearthed the oak floors in that grand upstairs room at the front of the house. Given its long history of living in this house, the floor has some worn spots. All-in-all it's quite lovely.


Whew!
___________________________
Currently Gearing Up For: Spring Semester aka Calculus Round II (Wish Me Luck!)
Dinner-Line Up: Mulligatawny Soup, Naan Bread, Spinach Salad with Parmesan & Grapefruit
Big News: Naomi Auditions for the Prescott Talent Show this week!
My Daughter Advises Me: "So, Mommy, sometimes if I don't come downstairs right away for dinner you might just think to yourself, 'Oh, I bet Naomi is practicing her dancing for the Talent Show. I'm sure she'll be down in a minute. Practicing is very, VERY important.'"

No comments: