Saturday, June 6, 2009

Summer Starting Line

Standing at the bathroom sink, brushing my teeth, I asked Naomi how we could make the last day of school special?
She proposed walking to school.
Sure, I said, no problem.
By myself, she clarified.
A spring, deep in my chest, that kind of holds me together yelped.
I-I think that would be o.k.
Coooooool! Naomi giggled.

This is a picture of my girl walking down Harwood Street by herself. Actually, she's running full clip. Because, when you're seven and life is this thrilling, who could walk?
____________
Weekend Soundtrack: There She Goes (The La's)
Currently Reading: Martian Time-Slip by Phillip K. Dick
Recent Cause For Celebration: McKibbin and I celebrated four years of marriage this past week. Four years and nobody's gouged their eyes out. I must say, I think this is going rather well.

Dinner Line Up: Grilled Black Bean Burgers, Potato-Mustard Salad with Tarragon, Fresh Strawberries
Currently Craving: Fresh Lemonade with Mint

2 comments:

B said...

I love everything about this post, Miz Meleeska! The image of Naomi running headlong into her future, the feeling of your insides rolling over the marking of a marriage milestone ... and god, that dinner sounds amazing!

xoxo,

Melissa said...

Shucks, Becki! Thanks. Her first occasion of walking to school by herself was a big day all around. She's a safe kid. Did a great job, I'm sure. And part of this parenting gig involves recognizing her good sense of judgment. Stepping back to let her handle things on her own. Geeez, oh, crimmony, that's tough.