Monday, March 2, 2009

Sunday Morning

I love Sunday mornings. The ambitious Sunday brunch plans start at our house the night before. Waffles? Pancakes? Omelets? Coffeecake? Naomi takes stock of the cupboards and refrigerator. McKibbin and I leaf through cookbooks. We went to bed this Saturday having agreed on pancakes. The honey-buttermilk variety.

Naomi was the first one out of bed in the morning. Her footed pajamas made a soft scuffing noise against the wood floor. I ventured to the grocery store, and McKibbin slept in.
F
riday’s snowfall was piled up along the street, and the sidewalks were clear. I bundled up and walked to the grocery store. Picked up the buttermilk, eggs, and some fresh coffee beans.

Arriving home I got the pancake batter ready. Naomi armed us with spatulas. McKibbin shuffled downstairs, in his robe, to start the coffee pot.

He poured the beans into the grinder, plugged it in. About half way through the task my trusty, old, coffee grinder coughed and gave up.
We all stopped and stared. McKibbin unscrewed the case to see if it couldn't be fixed. Nope, it was ka-put.
McKibbin resorted to using the blender as a coffee grinder and the morning rolled on.

(As a side note: I make lousy coffee. Always have. No excuse for it, really, nor explanation but it’s a fact: I make lousy coffee. I’ll drink it but my coffee mak
es everyone else choke.)

The coffee grinder was a relic of my life ten years ago. A belated Valentine’s Day gift I bought myself while living in a single-bedroom apartment, with hardwood floors and built in cabinets, by Denver University. The apartment was a space that, in the mess and solipsism of my twenties, I never managed to more fully appreciate nor keep clean.


The demise of the coffee grinder this Sunday inspired a family excursion to Target. Upon the advice of my husband (and daughter) we purchased one from Black & Decker. McKibbin is quick to note this grinder has replaceable grinder blades. Next time he cracks open the case, he’ll have something to fix.

Naomi admires the new one's steely color. I’m grateful for the appliance upgrade. And chuckled with agreement to purchase the Black & Decker. McKibbin offered to drive home, as he often does. The car felt crowded and warm. Naomi sang softly from the back seat to fill the silent air.

I don’t know why I mention it, exactly. Probably because for that moment I hoped to appreciate this life more than I have my others.
__________________________
Currently Reading with Naomi: Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Dinner Line-up: Indian Curry, Steamed Rice, Spinach Salad
Anxiously Awaiting from Blockbuster All-Access: Primer
Habit I'm Lobbying My Family To Form: Sunday Being Family-Clean-The-House Day
First Occurrence of Clean-The-House Day: Naomi was very, very curious about the term sweat-shop. She was also interested in the specific restrictions of child-labor laws.
Potential Over-share: Have I mentioned how excited I am to become an aunt? My brother and his wife, Jen, are expecting a bambino. ETA is April.

3 comments:

aworkinprogress said...

I love the you used "solipsism" in a sentence.

m@ said...

zoinks...i don't ever remember having to look up a word after being stumped by someone's blog.

solipsism.
i thought you were making it up.

Melissa said...

It's a fun little word I came across in a Christine Lavin song years and years ago.