Friday, February 20, 2009

The Adams Family

McKibbin: I found the HBO John Adams series.
Me: The one that won all those Emmy's? Ten or something wasn't it?
McK: Mmmm, thirteen.
Me: Really? Thirteen Emmy's?
McK: Yeh. Want to watch it with me?
Me: Sure, I like John Adams. He married well.
McK: Yeh...and he was the second President of the United States...
Me: That too.
McK: Continental Congress...signed the Declaration of Independence...
Me: He had many fine qualities.
McK: Most notably, though, he married well?
Me: Marrying Abigail, having her as your life-long confidant, it's a display of impeccable judgment.
McK: I see. You know, Abigail Adams is in this HBO series too.
Me: Great, then I'll watch it.
________
Currently Watching: John Adams (HBO)
Waiting for Me @ The Library: The Gathering by Anne Enrich
Current Undertaking: Listing 25 Books that Have Shaped My Life
Dinner Line-Up: Pesto Veggies, Tomato-Mozzarella Salad, & Cornbread

2 comments:

B said...

Snappy dialogue, you twose!

I have the Adams series here but haven't started it yet. Maybe this weekend ...

Melissa said...

McKibbin is snappy. I just chase after his heels.

The John Adams miniseries was a sober depiction of history that gets lost in the hooo-rah-rah brand patriotism.

Somehow the history gets revised through the lens of present day life that sees the outcomes of these actions. At the time, though, the uncertainty and risky nature of revolution and this experiment in representative democracy were not at all a sure bet.

I liked the series very much and thought the actors were exquisite.