Friday, March 13, 2009

March Madness


My family celebrates three birthdays each March: mine, Naomi's, and my mom's. Several years ago we started the tradition of packing up, some weekend in March, to stay at the Lied Lodge in Nebraska City.

Having been cooped up inside all winter March is a good time for a road trip, and an excuse to ignore the pile of dishes in my kitchen sink.

Every year is a little bit different. The weather varies, preferences vary, the food stays the same. We occupy three rooms: one for Matt & Jen, one for my folks, and one with my brood. McKibbin never sleeps well but he's always good natured about it.

Naomi and I spent the morning with my mom at the Arbor Day Tree Adventure. My pedometer logged 11 miles on the treadmill. We swam, basted hot stones in the sauna, and painted our toenails. Naomi polished off 2 chapter books in the span of 36 hours. We warmed ourselves by the fireside and stared out at the misty morning.

This year the trip occupies that moment where the snow has all melted, the days have a warming trend, so we sit, and wait, for Spring.

2 comments:

B said...

Three generations of strong, fabulous women ... what a great birthday tradition! Sounds like tons o' fun ...

Melissa said...

It was a lot of fun.
With such a hectic winter, a weekend get-away was just what I needed.