Friday, February 12, 2010

My Funny Valentine

Nine years ago McKibbin and I were waiting on the coffee to brew. Standing there in robes and slippers I told my (then) boyfriend that Valentine’s Day isn’t really my deal. I’m not much for cards, I elaborated, candies and the whole pre-packaged sense of “romance” which is always heavy on the consumer goods....ehn...it's not really for me.

I was surprised to find my boyfriend was not at all relieved. I drank some coffee before verifying, nope, he wasn’t breathing any easier after my anti-Valentine's Day proclaimation. Turns out he rather enjoys Valentine’s Day. Not the pre-packaged variety…but making the occasion to be with someone he loved was right up his alley. Who knew? Ah-hem...not me.

It’s a kitchen conversation that has plagued us for nine, seriously, nine years. Every year we botch the whole Valentine's Day deal. One of us resolving to buy a card or make dinner reservations as a special surprise for the other. One of us showing up late and empty handed.

The roles switch but the story stays the same. Throw Naomi into that mix and the debacle multiplies exponentially. Babysitters get involved, or it's our kid who becomes the unrequited card-giver.

At this point McK and I giggle at the mere mention of Valentine’s Day. For two rather capable people who, obviously, adore each other we manage to fumble this occasion every time. I’ve grown fond of our lack of coordination. What my twenty-something slippered self couldn’t see was that I could just save my pre-coffee-breath. McK and I couldn’t pull off a pre-packaged anything. Thankfully, that was just never in the cards.
______________
Quote of My Day: Valentine's Day (the movie) is like a 75-year-old director licking you in the face. (Vanessa Farquharson)
Personal Soundtrack: Polaroids (Shawn Colvin)
Currently Reading: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson
Lunch Concoction: White Beans, Rice, Fresh Tomatoes & Garlic-Tahihni-Parsley sauce

No comments: