Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Not The Goal But The Game


Last Sunday my folks and I teamed up to complete the Cornhusker State Games Triathlon. Mom swam, dad biked, and I ran. My brother, Matt, did all three events on his own. Matt had trained really hard so his time mopped up the floor with the rest of us who were ill prepared. We did our best, though, and eventually crossed the finish-line.

Having finished ninth out of nine teams entered in the race, I mention the triathlon with no claim to bragging rights. I'm pleased, however, to have been part of the family effort. I've generally been a loner when it comes to exercise. I was never on a soccer or volleyball team. I train for the marathon by myself. My MP3 player serves as my gym-buddy. I don't attended group classes much. I'm in the habit of pretty much doing my own thing which works out well most of the time.

So this Triathlon was really my first stab at teaming up. It meant a lot to me. I've attached a picture to this post of my mom in her swim cap, fresh from the water, and dad giving her a congratulatory hug. The blond pony-tail belongs to me. My sister-in-law, Jen, was the cornerstone of our cheering section. As the morning rolled on the booster club was improved by the arrival of my Aunt Carol, husband McKibbin and daughter Naomi.

The 5k run was the last leg of the triathlon. Naomi joined me on the last several meters of the course. We basked in the pleasant company waiting for us at the finish. Go team.

5 comments:

Melodee said...

Go team

Anonymous said...

That's excellent! Not mention totally the way I would do a triathlon (by splitting it up!) Go, Team Landis!-C.

matt said...

As a slow runner, fast biker, and doggie paddle swimmer: I salute your clan for completing a tri!

Melissa said...

Aww, shucks! Thanks, guys.

Anonymous said...

I think it is awesome, since I am a solitary workout person too. I keep playing with the idea of a tri, and I think the team effort could actually get me to do it. - Lisa Fisch