Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Lazy Weekend

For the first time seven weeks the McKibbin weekend didn't include a trek to remodel the cabin. We opted to pull a week night shift instead. Its not a bad routine. Brent behind the wheel as I read our book out-loud on the drive to Crete. Several hours with an array of hand tools and demolition. Any time I need a hand, or have questions McKibbin helps out. He doesn't get frustrated, really, which helps me follow suit. Its not bad. Tiring and dusty but not bad.

The remodeling process has been a huge lesson for me about patience. I'm an instant gratification sort of person at heart. I start projects with a rush of energy and fade quickly as the days wear on. With McKibbin's strengths in the remodeling area, a day's labor gains as much ground as any contractor would. With one day a week dedicated to the effort, however, we don't get much traction so its slow going. I remind myself of two things: (1) by this time next year I'll be tickled pink about the cabin; (2) all good things are worth waiting for. At this moment, however, I'm pretty exhausted and tickled ibuprofen. It was nice to take the weekend off.

________________________________________

One of the things I did with my weekend was tend the tangle of weeds which occupies the flower and vegetable beds at our house. You'd be surprised what survives my neglect. We had some sweet peas earlier this year. The heirloom tomatoes are about ripe. Chives. Parsley. But, oh, gosh the basil! Sweet Basil! We have it coming out of our ears.

Please, please next time you're in a pesto making mood swing by our house so we can hook you up.
________________________________________
I did finish The Other by David Guterson. I wrote a review on Goodreads.com. Check it out.

No comments: