Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Runs The Whole Show

N: Mom, you know I don't believe in God, right?
Me: Yep.
N: And that doesn't make you mad does it?
Me: No, faith is an extremely private matter. It's not up to me whether you believe in God or whether you don't. You have to find something that works for you on that score. 
N: OK. Because I don't think there is a God but I do believe in a Higher Power.
Me: Yeh?
N: Yeh. Here, I'll draw you a picture of what I mean. 

[She draws the night sky on 1/2 of a page of paper. Points to the seam between the stars and the blank page]

N: I think something lives on the edge of the universe. I call it a Higher Power. It isn't a person but it runs the whole show: the planets, the science, the seasons and traffic lights. It's made up of magic and dust.

3 comments:

m@ said...

whoa.

Anonymous said...

Dust to dust and magic to magic. I can live with that. DadO

Melissa said...

I feel pretty fortunate that N shares with me this sort of stuff.