Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Academic Record

I was crouched down in the front hallway of L’s house, last week, zipping up my Calc III notes & textbook into the big mouth of my backpack. My brain was fogged up from the past 90 minutes going over the highlights of the course material and preparing for my final exam. 

At the doorway we were saying our good-bye’s and have-a-nice-holiday’s when L started fidgeting, a little awkwardly, and said…

“I want to congratulate you on completing this series of calculus courses. A lot of people would have started with a stronger background in math, had more recent coursework, or been handed less challenging material and they would have given up. You have worked exceptionally hard. I really admire how you’ve stuck in there.” 

It was, quite possibly, the highest compliment I could have received.

4 comments:

m@ said...

I echo the sentiment, Melis. I admire a great number of things about you. But your dedication to tackling subjects that aren't in your natural skillset is... beyond remarkable. it's breathtaking.

m@ said...

the big mouth of my backpack.
awesome.

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! Way to go, Miz M! You rock that class!

becki

Melissa said...

Thanks, guys! Love you!