Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Joy of Being Wild

Naomi and I went for a hike last weekend and she cooked up the idea of writing a book. She thought up a title she was particularly fond of. Put her fingers to her lips as she spoke the words: The Joy of Being Wild.

From there, my pen and paper chased after her brainstorm trying to capture the dust as it fell down behind her. Here's some of the advice my paper caught:

Do cartwheels in the open grass.

Ford rivers often. It gets your feet nice and icy cold.

Eat purple plants.

Look straight at the sun with your eyes clamped shut.

Dig around in the dirt.

Let your hair blow all over the place.

Appreciate the privilege it is to live here.

2 comments:

B said...

This is genuine poetry, as I'm sure you know. I especially like "Look straight at the sun with your eyes clamped shut."

Melissa said...

Aw, thanks. Naomi has recently had her interest in poetry piqued so I wasn't too surprised by the way she arranged her words.

The eyes clamped shut was my favorite too.

By contrast, McK read that sentence and involuntary recoiled with: "YIKES! Retinal damage!"