Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Live Honestly, Eat Slowly...


My Grandmother Gracele McPherson turns ninety years old today. I woke up this morning and considered this picture of Gracele at sixteen. I wondered how unfamiliar the world would seem to that sixteen year old girl now. A world with indoor plumbing, penicillin, rural electrification, ATM machines, microwave ovens, integrated schools, television, Lazy Boy recliners, and air conditioning.

In the wake of World War I Gracele grew up not only in a post-war era, but a post-war-to-end-all-wars era. She was born the same year Congress passed the Eighteenth Amendment prohibiting the sale of "intoxicating liquors" and the Nineteenth Amendment which, at long last, granted women the right to vote.

I found a quote by Lucille Ball today, and figured my grandmother lived by her advice when told "[t]he secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age." Please join me in wishing my Grandmother a Happy Birthday.

5 comments:

aworkinprogress said...

Happy birthday, Gracele!

Melissa said...

Thanks, Colleen!
Even at ninety, my grandmother is a force of nature.

Mike Hood said...

I believe I met her once, in a previous life. Melissa, so good to see you are doing well. I hope you don't mind if I follow your blog. M

Melissa said...

Michael Hood! I'm so, so pleased to hear from you. How lovely to find you in cyberspace. Are you in Colorado or still traveling/teaching internationally?

Yes, I believe in another life you met my Grandma Gracele. Christmas-time wasn't it?

Mike Hood said...

Hi Meleeska! I'm in Tokyo. Been back in Japan since 2001--first at Southern Illinois U.'s campus, then at a Japanese university. Just got tenure, so it looks like we are staying for awhile. Did I say "we?" Married lovely Kae (originally from Shanghai) in 05. Cutie Katie joined us in 05, then buddy Tyler in 07. Much to tell you about; I hope we can catch up by email (or facebook, which I have come to enjoy very much). mikehood85@hotmail.com. I'm so glad to see that you are doing well, and writing!