Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bringing My Work Home With Me


Naomi accompanied me to my calculus tutor’s house on Sunday. Generally my daughter opts to stay with my mom while I’m studying with Lucinda. Last Sunday, however, my mom was otherwise occupied and my appointment with Lucinda was right after Naomi’s Chinese language lesson.

So Naomi had her Chinese workbooks, I had my graphing calculator, we both sported backpacks and rang Luncinda’s doorbell. Once situated with a juice-box Naomi sat down on the sofa. Lucinda has a daughter, Sonja, close to Naomi’s age with similar interests. While Sonja was not home, Naomi welcomed Lucinda’s invitation to play with any available toys or books.

After about thirty minutes of number crunching with my textbook Lucinda and I walk into the living room to check on Naomi. My girl was pleased to showcase her latest Keva plank creation.

Naomi so admired a tower Sonja built out of planks she had spent her time building a railroad system for “coal trains” to serve the structure's occupants. The nearby green and black marbles served as the coal pieces loaded into rail-cars which ran straight into the basement of Sonja’s tower.

“That’s so the coal can make electricity or else, you know, Sonja can just burn it in an oven to keep warm,” Naomi said.

2 comments:

B said...

Intelligent parents = intelligent kid.

I've never seen these Keva planks before, but I love the concept!

Melissa said...

Sonja cornered me this week when I stopped by (sans Naomi) for another tutoring session. She asked if I might bring over my kiddo next time I come over?

I guess building somebody a railroad is a great ice-breaker. Who knew?