Thursday, September 17, 2009

An Unlikely Coupling

My car radio dial landed on KZUM this noon and found the weekly polka show in full swing. Living so close to the Czech capital of Nebraska, I'm quick to identify a good polka riff when I hear it. If pressed I could even dance the polka. Don't press me on this, because I won't actually do it I'm just saying I could.

I was about to switch the dial, this noon, to another station when I recognized the polka tune. Deep In the Heart of Texas. Want to, or not, you know some version of this song "...the stars and night...are big and bright...deep in the heart of Texas..."

The juxtaposition made me laugh out loud. When I think of polka music it's a thought unrelated to Texas. When considering Texas my mind doesn't wander off to polka. Playing musical matchmaker, I considered the musical genre and tune a sort of an odd coupling. Kind of like a blind date. One that doesn't work out that well.

_________
Currently Watching: This American Life (Season 2)
Shameless Plug: A Novel Idea Bookstore has agreed to donate a percentage of the Oct. 2nd sales receipts to Naomi's Prescott School. This is my favorite used bookstore in town, run by some of my favorite people on the planet, so I need no excuse to browse their collection. Save the date: Oct. 2nd. Buy books. 'Nuff said.

No comments: