Friday, January 2, 2009

The New Year


The beginnings of things always land me in a strange spot. Excited and a little disoriented even amidst a familiar terrain. Thus far 2009, and its ringing-in, have gone well. I guess I'm in a checklist or (as McKibbin would be surprised I could conjure for reference) a SportsCenter highlights sort of a mental-space recently so here goes.

New Year’s Eve…
**My cousin, Tom, detailed his trip to Space Camp. Oh, man, do I want to go!
**An awe inspiring light radiated from my sister-in-law as she arrived at our New Year’s occasion. She and my brother shared a space between them that was like the filiment in a lightbulb.
**I delighted in my (too brief) conversation with Sara comparing hero stories and epics from around the globe.
**The compilation of family interviews was effusively well received.
**Naomi trounced around singing carols with her cousin. Both dressed in new, pink hats and scarves.

New Year’s Day...
*Being afforded an extra hour of zzz's as Naomi played on her favorite
website.
*Splashing and swimming out Naomi’s narrative in the YMCA pool.
*A (too brief) moment spent bubbling in a hot-tub.
*Painting my toenails a shocking purple.
*Closing my eyes to more fully appreciate the smell of McKibbin's after-shave.
*Reading books.
*Delighting in my indulgent and adventurous family. They took the dinner-table challenge of eating noodles with chopsticks.

Happy New Year, everyone, and thanks for sticking with me on this blogspot adventure.

___________________________________________________________
Currently Reading: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Johnathan Safran Foer. Naomi is transfixed by the nine year-old character of Oskar. We talk, at great length, about his inventions as though he’s a colleague or collaborator of hers.

Still Resonating From: Everything is Illuminated

In The Queue for Dinner Tonight: Mashed Potato Soup with Chives (Maybe a little tumeric. That’s off-roading from the cookbook page so, oooooooooo, I'm just not sure...)

No comments: