Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Perks of the Job

Working for a public utility isn't the cubical station in life I had once aspired to. Its turned out to be a good gig for me, don't get me wrong, its just not glam. Job perks, other than stable employment and a dental plan, just aren't all that plentiful. No effusive job titles. No wild office parties. No liberties to take with a company car or credit card. As a public entity we have no stocks, so, no stock options. No year end bonus.

Through work I am part of a Community Services Committee though. We have organized a effort this year to gift children at the Cedars Home for Children over the holidays. Yesterday I was put up a tree in our lobby. Each ornament details one of the children's needs we are committed to fulfill. Its a cool program and one I'm proud to be part of. However inspiring the effort, though, I was tasked with that darned tree. It isn't the tree but the lights that, year after year, irk me. They're always tangled and I can never ever get each bulb to kick in.

I sat down on the lobby floor at 7 a.m. yesterday having already set tree in its stand and untangled the gangling wad of stringed lights. I had plugged in one end and was working my way down the string with the spare bulb, muttering expletives when one of the power plant operators walked by.

LES has four staffed facilities. We have 450 employees or so - most of whom are officed out of downtown. By contrast my power plant has a small workforce of maybe fifteen stationed out there. We staff the facility 24 hours a day so at any given time there are only six to eight of us onsite.

Being so isolated, and having gone through the construction and start-up process together, the fifteen of us are no strangers to peppering a task with muttered expletives. I mention this, not because I shocked my co-worker with my language, but to explain that expletives aren't off-putting nor all together noteworthy. They certainly don't dampen the holiday spirit.

Jim, the Plant Operator, ignored my muttering and walked up to the tree. He surveyed my work and found an understated but genuine compliment for the effort. Not looking up from my task I said thanks in a louder version of the same irritated tone I had slung toward the lightstring.

Frustrating job there? He asked.

Yeh, I sighed.

Always is, he said. Hey, don't worry about that. I'll get one of my guys to troubleshoot those lights for you.

Really?

Yeh, he said. They'll hook this up and get it firing right. It'll give my night shift something to do. Keep them awake

I don't have some diva sounding job title on my business card. Nobody says "Really, how fascinating!" at a cocktail party when I tell them what I do for a living. LES payroll doesn't help me out with spending cash for the holidays and there's no corporate discount at Starbucks. But I can say that being saved, by skilled electricians, from a string of Christmas lights is no small deal when it comes to job perks.




____________________________________________________________________
Currently Reading: The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisernos (and) Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas Friedman
Currently Watching: Torchwood Season 2
Naomi's Reading: Ivy and Bean book series by Anne Barrows
Current family dilemma: Naomi asks if we can turn her art/craft area into a chemistry lab. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

m@ said...

A chemistry lab?!?!? Feed that beast! :-)

Melissa said...

For sure! We do "chemistry" experiments in the kitchen just now. The kind of science you can eat. But McKibbin is game for the full-on chem lab idea. I'm on a mission to find a chemistry set for Christmas.

Unknown said...

Hey, Darlin'...Every job has its perks. Identifying them is the challenge! Good work!

I'm loving catching back up on your blog!