Monday, November 3, 2008

Early Voting


Over my lunch hour I cast an early-ballot at the Lancaster County Election Commission office. The line was long, but things clipped along at a good pace. Stem to stern the line was a 30 minute time commitment. No "I Voted Today" stickers though which was a notable down side.

To sound like a complete geek, I have to say I generally find election days exciting. This year has a particular groundswell but it only offers thematic variations for me. That kind of butterfly feeling I got at the polling booth isn't entirely attributable to the McCain or Obama ticket. Its the sense of being part of something bigger than myself. Voting conjures a similar sense of wonder and purpose I get when standing in a large forest. Its a moment where my place in the fold of something feels exactly right.

On my way out of the Election Commission office I pressed through the heavy glass door. A dry wind kicked up around me and I reveled in a moment of confidence that I had just helped elect the next President of the United States. Not too shabby.

2 comments:

aworkinprogress said...

OMG! I feel the exact same way! When I vote, I listen to everyone talk about their voting stories, and I swell with pride. I love the energy, I love seeing so many walks of life gather to perform a common duty. It fills me with geeky-civic glee!

(I also felt the same way at jury duty!)

Melissa said...

Good for you. Geeky civic glee resonates with me, darlin'!