Monday, November 12, 2012

Soft Fascination

I've spent this year purposefully living outside more often.

Less time in front of glowing screens. Less of my brain preoccupied with synchronized calendars and overly-ambitious-to-do list. I wanted to do more. I wanted to worry less. Spend more time with dirty fingernails, less time inside my head. 

So I spent this year outside noticing tree stands and moonlight, leaf veins and fireflies. I watched pine needles fall into ponds. I sat and listened to night noises.

Leafing through a magazine yesterday I found the name for this habit. It's called soft fascination. That washed clean feeling that comes from noticing something like rainfall or a sunset. Something too lovely, too awe-inspiring for your brain to get caught up with whatever else is going on.

The quieting effect that being outside had on my brain. Strangely enough, I found it was entirely disconnected from my life's circumstance. Good day, bad day, feeling fabulous or a failure I found that if I noticed enough of the world that lives and breathes with or without me just being outside had virtually the same effect. I felt small or still and particularly well placed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful ~ just reading this made me feel more peaceful.

Becki

Melissa said...

Thanks, B. Actually this post made me think of our hikes and bike rides this year. Thanks so much for doing those with me!

Melodee said...

Thanks I needed that!

Melissa said...

I know. Me, too. There is something about being surrounded greenness that just helps so much.