Friday, February 18, 2011

paranormal-romance

I logged onto my Goodreads account yesterday. Goodreads is a social network for readers which allows me to list and write reviews of the books I've read, the site offers me the opportunity to sell and swap books, and get reading recommendations from friends. I was logged on and generally browsing for something to pick up from the library. As I clicked I found out “paranormal-romance” is its own genre of literature. I smirked at the computer-screen and tried to think kinder, gentler thoughts about the Twilight series.

Paranormal-romance. It was a combo that stuck with me like a fever. When I fixate on something I’ll commonly take a little walk to sort of clear my mind. I walked off from the computer screen but couldn't leave the idea. Instead I listed the romance stories I know that were tinged with the supernatural or something just outside the realm of science. While I wasn’t so flush with books, but I was shocked how readily I could conjure small and big screen stories which fit neatly into the mold.

There was your low hanging fruit the I-love-a-space-alien theme with Starman, Earth Girls are Easy, Mork and Mindy, the whole Dr. Who series. Mix in the I-love-a-robot theme and you capture movies like Stepford Wives, Wall-E, Blade Runner, and Weird Science. I’m particularly fond of the there’s-something-really-different-about-this-guy theme which captures Edward Scissorhands, Time Traveler’s Wife, and Phenomenon. Throw in your superhero love stories and every Lois Lane, every broken hearted glam girl left is Bruce Wayne (Batman)’s wake, every Mary Jane has a lovelorn tale to tell.

At this point I walked back to my desk chuckling out loud. Fully conceding the point that paranormal-romance is a legitimate genre. Respecting it a little, actually, and outing own closeted leanings in this direction.

______
Personal Soundtrack: Love Is A Good Thing (Sheryl Crow)

1 comment:

m@ said...

why oh why did you have to mention goodreads.com?!?!?!? now i have to get with that site because i'm constantly looking for educated recommendations. so now here's a NEW internet toy to spend hours playing with.

curse you melissa mckibbin...curse you but good.

(by curse you, i really mean "thanks for the hot tip!")

-bro