Monday, December 27, 2010

What I Loved This Weekend


Trimming the Christmas tree with an 8-piece collection of clay ornaments Naomi made.

Our make-shift breakfast on Christmas morning of apples, cheese, cashews & coffee. Sitting around with Naomi & McK to play board games.

After singing some Christmas Carols with my grandmother, on the drive home, my mom took the occasion to appreciate out loud the joy this bunch of us can inspire in my grandmother. Whether Gracele remembers it or not it’s still there to be had (joy) if only for an instant. At ninety-one and this many years deep into dementia that can’t be said for everyone.

Each year my family reads something to each other. Something we read, or something we wrote this past year that resonates. It’s a tradition each member of my family opts in and out of on various years. Sometimes you don’t have time to find the passage you want to read, sometimes you can’t think of something appropriate. So it’s optional but also a tradition that means a great deal to me. This year my mom read from The Trial of Standing Bear, dad read a charming kid’s book, Jen read a section from You Go, Girl!, my brother read from his journal, and I read an excerpt from Elizabeth Gilbert.

Watching Naomi perform a four-song Christmas music and dance review for my family. Audience participation was encouraged. The performance was equal parts music-dance-cheer. She had an infectious level of enthusiastic merriment from which I still haven't recovered.


2 comments:

B said...

can't wait to get together and hear more ... about Miz N's performance, what exactly you read from ms. Gilbert, etc etc etc ... hugs to you!

Melissa said...

Back at ya, Ms. B, I can't wait to see you and hear about your holiday! Movie? Coffee? Soon? Cool!