Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Chromatography

At the close of yesterday I realized the day's events were doused in a red dye of some sort. I'll tell you three stories about my encounters with the color red in no particular order.

1. Red Dress - There was a holiday occasion last night that resembled a lost sock drawer of old friends. People I know from different parts of my life who have moved away or into other circles around town. People who were back around for the holidays and we were generally congregating at Yia-Yia's last night for pizza and beer.

On any given day I am flush with love for these sorts of occasions. With this whole unbloggable life condition, though, I was a little nervous about going. A little known trick of mine came in handy, though: when I'm feeling a little insecure I'll make an unusually bold fashion choice.

Bodhi Imports sported a window display of exactly the bold outfitting required. The subtext of the dress read something like, "My life is f-ing great, no need to ask!" I promptly walked into the store, bought dress and wore it to Yia-Yia's. It was all good and, nope, nobody asked. Not even once.


2. Red Bottlecap - My relationship with Dr. Pepper is both long standing and extremely gratifying. Yesterday McK miracled me with this retro-Pepper. It's sweetened with real sugar rather than corn syrup. Ah, I'm speechless to describe such bliss.



2. Red Tins - We were invited to attend a Caroling Party later this week. Naomi and I often make a tuneful sort of noise so we were quick to accept the invitation.

This party allowed me to test-drive and ultimately deliver some recipes I'd been eyeing for a while. In two red tins I packaged up some Rosemary-Cashews and Cinnamon-Brushed-Almonds. Mmmmm.

_____
Currently Watching: The Closer (Season 3)
Recent Goodness: Homemade Caramels

Quote of My Day: "Carol big -- or stay home, baby!"
(The throw-down dare extended by kids hosting, with some help from their parents, the caroling party)

2 comments:

B said...

lady, that dress looked so good on you no one HAD to ask!

Melissa said...

Thanks, B. It's been ~so~ great to have you back around this holiday. I hope you had a lovely occasion with your fam.