Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mother's Day

I had a great Mother's Day.

Brunch with my grandma, daughter, mother, aunts, and uncle Jack. Dinner with my parents and brother's family. I was miracled by a rain-barrel from my husband, a pink potted plant from my daughter, a Wonder Woman coffee mug from my brother. Chocolate dessert. Greeting cards. Ample hugs. Naomi insisted we play a silly parlor game after dinner. Everyone joined in and laughed long and hard. Who could ask for more? Well, the last Mother's Day gift was a freebie facial I got through email from Origins on Monday.

Wow-zah!

Cleanser, hot
towel, toner, moisturizer (part one), hot towel, tea bag treatment, mud masque, hot towel, moisturizer (part two)...I was in heaven. Tingly, clean-feeling, lemony smelling heaven. Years ago McKibbin rightfully pegged me as a moisturizer-aholic. I prefer to consider myself a moisturizer connoisseur. In either case, I got up from the Origins "spa" chair and wanted to hug my beautician.

Grabbed my purse, turned to go, and she called me over to the make-up table. Oh, I said. I just don't wear a whole lot of make up. Mascara and lip gloss, sometimes, but that's about it.

The beautician psyched me out pretty well. Made sure the finished product looked natural enough. If I could bring myself to appreciate make up, I would have adored everything my face wore. Call me lazy, though, I like sleeping-in more than I like primping.

The upshot, though, of sticking around to get powdered up was my parting gift: a mint gumball. I love gum,
love gum. Mint gum in particular. I walked away, swinging my paper bagged purchase (lemony moisturizing cleanser), and smacking my mint gum loudly. Fought the adolescent urge to blow a bubble inside the store. Chuckled at my visage in the rear-view mirror of my car, and blew a big minty bubble at my reflection. Happy Mother's Day to me.
________________________
Currently Watching: Eureka (reruns) with Naomi
Dinner Line-Up: Grilled Portabella Mushrooms, Cilantro Lime Marinade, Sweet Potatoes & Spinach Salad

Recently Enjoyed:
Star Trek
Personal Soundtrack: Ray of Light (Madonna)
Found Interesting: A Feminist Discussion of Michelle Obama

No comments: