Friday, April 17, 2009

Ok, so, you said what just now?

N was setting the dining room table.
Out of our daughter’s earshot, I describe to McK a drink I’d like him to pour me sometime. My husband knows I'm a fruity drink person with a collection of paper umbrellas on the ready. So, in the kitchen, I describe a recipe that sounds worth trying. The drink, I tell him, is called an Orange Blossom. Our daughter, N, walks into the kitchen, mid sentence, to grab the serving spoons.

N: What is?
Me:Wh-what’s an orange blossom?
N: Mmm-hmmm.
Me: Oh, (changing the subject) it’s a flower you find on an orange tree.
N:The part that grows into an orange, right?
Me: Mmm-hmm. It’s the flower that grows into the orange.
McK: (to me) Good cover. Also a character from Strawberry Shortcake, isn’t it?
N: Yeh.
Me: McKibbin, that you even know that kind of shocks me.
N: So, dad, which Strawberry Shortcake character are you?
McK: Ah-hem, actually I’m more of a Dead Kennedy’s person than a Strawberry Shortcake person.

2 comments:

Jasoninthedesert said...

I find it a riot that you refer to your husband by his last name. My Mom did that for most of my childhood, not to compare you to my Mom in any other way. :)

Did we got to school with Brent? That name is AWFULLY familiar, but I'm horrible with names.

Melissa said...

Referring to McK by last name is a relic of his years on the high-school debate circuit. The habit makes McKibbin family gatherings confusing sometimes. :)

Actually, Jason, you have an excellent memory for names. Brent, and his brother Mike, both attended LHS while you and I were there. Mike graduated in 1989 & my husband in 1990.