Tuesday, April 14, 2009

One Good Meal Deserves Another

My family delights in any occasion to laugh together and indulge in wine and food. A spirited discussion often rises from the dinner table. Afterwards we walk out into the night air glad for the event.

Last night we shared a table with Tess Vigeland from NPR's Marketplace. It was Ms. Vigeland's second trip to the Landis house. Naomi was quick to fill Tess in on the latest and greatest in the life of a first grader: she lost a tooth, got a cousin, and started taking gymnastics. The rest of us filled Tess in on our lives since her last visit and the latest take on the economy.

Our party was diminished by two. Jen and Sofia stayed behind to rest as my brother Matt joined us. It was great to see Matt. And while we missed his lovely family, we can all support any action which follows the sleeping urge for those of us new to the planet (Sofia) , or new to the planet known as Motherhood (Jen). They were among us, and us with them, in spirit.

Naomi had announced, six months ago, her vocation as a "friend-maker". As Tess and her microphone pulled out of the driveway Naomi turned to me and said, "Mommy, you could be that girl's friend. She drove all the way here just to have dinner. I think that means she likes you. You should be her buddy." It was the first Naomi had outsourced her professional services as a friend-maker.

At the close of a delicious pot-luck dinner, a fabulous discussion, and lots fun Ms. Vigeland took a front porch portrait of our family. Did I mention I brought macaroni & cheese? The irony of it's role as a Depression era food didn't strike me until it was too late to bring something else.




Check out Marketplace evening broadcast. We might be on the air.

3 comments:

Brent Baum said...

Hey, how in the world did you get Tess to your house? I listen to marketplace every day on my iTunes and love the way they talk about money so non-biz types can understand it.

BTW - I was wandering with the Landis name if I knew anyone you would...sure enough I played soccer for your dad (?) many a year ago!

kraftykash said...

What a great photo of the family. It sounds like a good time.

Melissa said...

Thanks, guys, it was. It was actually a lot of fun. Nobody can go wrong with the mac & cheese! :)