Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Wrapped-Up and Ready To Go

McKibbin and I watched movies and wrapped presents last night. These, obviously, are the gifts we're giving rather than receiving. Scotch tape worked its usual wonders to remedy my divided attention between the movie and the gift wrap. At the end of the evening there was the teapot, the chemistry set, the handwarmers, the box of chocolates all wrapped and trimmed with ribbon.

Each year I have one gift I'm particularly fond of. This year it is a jewel case and cd I'm giving my parents. What it boils down to is this: the likelihood I could purchase a fitting gift for my parents is remote at best; given the finite nature of my family finances it’s darned near impossible. Instead McKibbin helped me select a non-obtrusive MP3 recorder. I’ve used it to capture a series of twenty to thirty minute interviews I've collected over the past 4 weeks with my family.

At the onset of the process I intended to edit the interviews before I burned them onto a cd. Cut out the rough edges. All the oh-I-don’t-know-s. The pauses. The dog barking. The doorbell ring. But at the last minute I left each one intact. Maybe it's my sentimental nature or my unabashed love for these people…but I think each one is just right exactly as it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your present was a big hit. I have not stopped talking about the revelations and observations I heard and found fascinating. Learned a lot and appreciated it so very much. DadO

Melissa said...

The interviews made my holiday season a lot brighter this year, dad. Glad you enjoyed them!