Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ivy + Bean = Chemistry Set


-->N has recently enjoyed reading the Ivy + Bean books series about two unlikely friends. Bean is a talkative, emotive girl who likes to climb fences, and play tricks on her older sister, Nancy. She seldom wears dresses and avoids big books. Her new neighbor, Ivy, appears to be a quiet, orderly girl who sits on her front step day after day reading.

Shortly after devouring the Ivy + Bean books N started asking for a chemistry lab. As it turns out the bookworm, Ivy, makes a habit of mixing chemical potions. McK was game from the chemistry-set-get-go. I’ve been (by far) the more hesitant parent on this score. Having unabashedly plugged science into my kid’s brain my hesitance might sound strange.

I was not at all hesitant about buying a telescope to better illustrate the finer points of astronomy. We have hiking and camping gear coming out of our ears. My kitchen is open at all times to Science Experiments You Can Eat. Zoo camps, nature center excursions, fossil digs, Earth Day festivals…I am first in line with N in-tow.

The mention of a chemistry lab, however, opened my mental filing cabinet to an interview I heard (years ago) while living in Colorado. National Public Radio had invited two chemists to test and critique a number of chemistry sets for children. The chemist's review spoke to the gooey-mess-making focus of modern chemistry sets.

The allure of chemistry for these professionals as children, however, was an element of danger the kits possessed. To put it bluntly, it was the explosions (minor ones, hopefully) that were the most fascinating. That’s right: explosions. We’re not talking the vinegar and baking soda molten lava explosions; nor the loss of all self-control with the blue food coloring explosion that got all over the kitchen walls and linoleum (both of which are casualties we have already suffered at our house) we’re talking ka-BOOM explosions. And let’s just say I’ve asked enough questions of N to confirm we’re talking an old school chemistry lab my kiddo has envisioned.

I am not so hesitant on this score to squash the chemistry lab idea all together. Child-proof caps on the elements go a long, long way with me. Rest assured, I can say with relative certainty that N will find a chemistry set under the tree this year. I just need to update the emergency contact numbers programmed into my phone first. MMm-hmmm, and we'll put those phone contacts on speed dial.
______________________________
Currently Watching: Firefly
Currently Listening To: Earth's Major Ecosystems (lecture series)
Excited To See: Santaland Diaries

No comments: