Friday, October 24, 2008

I've Never Felt This Way About My Curbside Recycling Before

I was a child of the seventies. Disco music, feathered-hair and recycling are cornerstones of my earliest memories. I like the familiar rainfall sound of an aluminum pile collapsing in on itself. My parents stored old newspapers, 2 litre plastic bottles, and aluminum pieces in the back hall. We periodically loaded everything up to transport to the nearest recycling center. My dad and I would return the 16 oz glass Coke bottles to the Hinky Dinky grocery store for re-use. I guess you could say recycling has been a life-long habit of mine.

Curbside service made the effort more convenient. McKibbin and I have had curbside recycling since shacking up together eight years ago. It was one of the less noteworthy negotiations of moving-in. This week we switched curbside vendors to Star City Recycling. Wow, I'm enamored of everything they recycle! Plus, Star City donates some of their profits to the Lincoln Food Bank.

Let's see ...in addition to those fashionable yellow-bins with Star City Recycling I get:
* the convenience of curbside service,
* to recycle the basics plus items such as pagers and crayons (yes, crayons),
* to benefit the Lincoln Food Bank, and
* to be generally eco-fabulous.

At the risk of sounding like an infomercial I think for $11/month Star City Recycling is a steal!

4 comments:

m@ said...

AND WE CAN RECYCLE STYROFOAM!!!!

Melissa said...

Oh, I know. Its just too cool!

m@ said...

2 weeks ago i set out a broken space heater and thought "no way they'll take this." they did. LOVE these guys!

Melissa said...

Too cool, Matt! Did I tell you my desk-side recycling program at work went live this week? Aluminum, all grades of plastic, cardboard, paper, tin, etc. It all goes in the recycling bin under your desk. LBL has a similar program, yes? The list isn't as impressive as Star City's but its WORLDS better than we had 10 days ago.