Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Commute

Last Wednesday I attended a conference in downtown Lincoln. The conference, while thought provoking and well done, was not the high point of the day. It was the short bike ride I took from my doorstep to the Cornhusker conference center.

McKibbin and I bought this house for many reasons. Price range, neighborhood, style of house...but its proximity to downtown was on the list of desirables. At the time I officed out of the Lincoln Electric Building. We closed on the house eleven days after Naomi was born. She was young enough I couldn't prop her up in the bike seat. But I had mapped out my future plan to commute to and from work by bike.

My office was moved to a remote generating site before my biker commuting habits really got started. No bike trails, no bus lines find their way to my work site now so I live for days where I have a conference or a day long downtown meeting. I hop on my purple bike, check the tires, don the helmet (because I'm too old to care about looking cool) and head out. Its as fast if not faster to bike as it would be to drive and park. Its healthier. Its less expensive. It contracts my carbon footprint. I'd like to say my biking preference stems from some deep virtue but its just more fun. I like biking. Coasting down hill is a sensation as close to floating (really, really fast floating) as I can imagine.

Hands down, the best part of my Wednesday was the fifteen minute commute from my door downtown; only bested by the return trip when the sun was out and the fall colors kicked into hyperdrive.

No comments: