Sunday, August 17, 2008

Increased Laughter = Increased Joy

Summer reading lists rarely sing the praises of fluff. When asked "so, what are you reading?" I always want to sound like an NPR correspondent. I like thoughtful commentary and gut wrenching sad plot-lines as much as the next person...but occasionally...I get the itch to blaze through a clever but predictable text.

Feeling that itch last week I knew Sophie Kinsella could scratch it. I'm in the middle of The Undomestic Goddess and having a lot of fun with it. Kinsella authored the entire Shopaholic series (which was charming and clever for about 2 1/2 books) and she topples anyone else on my Authors I'd Like to Party With list. Its a short list, really, but she's the best fit for me. Kinsella is clever without being a snob, she throws down endearing characters in hilarious situations and both the author and reader have a good time of it. Her texts occasionally inspire me laugh out loud which adds credence to my Increased Laughter = Increased Joy theory.

Thanks, Sophie! If you were in Lincoln or on Facebook, I'd buy you a drink (or two).

No comments: