Friday, August 15, 2008

Energy Crisis Kvetch

Okay ... I'm feeling pulled in all sorts of directions today. Three articles in the same day:
Beyond the local issue, which conjures my obvious bias, the juxtaposition gives rise to my belief that we're pretty schizophrenic when it comes to any meaningful discussion of energy prices. Because energy (oil, gas, electricity) have been so affordable for so long we want to force it back into their nominal price mold. We also want to save the planet. We also want alternative fuels.

I'm a self-serving-solipsistic person at heart. Ask me to deprive myself of anything and I'll wince. But on this one I don't think we can have it all. We can't refuse to raise electrical rates AND hope to plug our cars into the nearest outlet. We can't create natural gas cars and infrastructure without also seeing significant costs for home heating and electrical generation increase. There is no Walmart or bargain basement deal when it comes to energy prices. You pay what you pay or you figure out how to use less.

My thought? Don't drain your savings to pay your gas bill. Carpool or use mass-transit, moderate the thermostat in the short term. Use your savings to make more lasting solution oriented changes such as buying a more fuel efficient vehicle, upgrading to an Energy Star furnace, adding insulation to your attic.

Because, straight-up, over time energy prices are going nowhere but higher. Sure you'll see some peaks and valleys. As prices get painful enough the blow to the pocketbook will inspire people drive less/moderate their thermostats and prices fall (a little); and surge again as demand increases globally.

No comments: