Friday, May 2, 2008

May Day Mystery

Naomi loves to deliver May Day baskets. She's a crafty sort of kid who likes to assemble things in general. Flowers and candy in hand, we delivered a couple of baskets yesterday to teachers and neighbors. As we arrived home Naomi and I were blown from the car to the front door by a hot, gusty wind and found a basket on our own doorstep.


Its a collection of fragrant flowers, a stuffed bear, a small clay pot, a jig-saw puzzle, a tootsie roll, a microwave egg cooker, face scrub, moisturizer, toothpaste... its a lovely, eclectic group of knick-knacks. Naomi was content to call the gift-giver her "sneaky-sneaker" and leave it at that. But this is our second year of being gifted with a mystery May Day basket so McKibbin and I were more determined to extract clues about the giver by close examination of the contents. I love mysteries. So much so that I never developed my detective side.

When mentally listing the potential culprits I was inspired to recognize the the wealth of thoughtful, generous people we have in our lives. The whole experience made me scrunch my toes and breathe a big thank you to the person who sneaked onto the McKibbin family porch to leave us these goodies. The gifts are lovely and the mystery made me grateful for the abundance of sweet surprises and the general goodness of this life. Namaste.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Ohhh...How fabulous! I have never done the May Day tradition but now I really really want too!!! How fun:-)

Melissa said...

We used the egg cooker just this weekend. You would think the eclectic nature of the contents would point a finger toward the giver. But when asked to name an eccentric person in my family or circle of friends, that criteria just doesn't narrow the field at all really! Aren't I lucky?