Friday, April 4, 2008

My Inner Sci-Fi Geek

Say the word sci-fi to a woman and she’ll respond by
shrieking as she runs into the other room to go read

The Kiterunner.

-- That Guy Who Hosts The Daily Dish
on E! Entertainment Channel


Looking in the mirror this morning, I had a moment of clarity. All junkies start their sobriety stories that sort of revelation, don’t they? I’ve been reduced to a puddle of my former self by the marathon Battlestar Galactica episodes this week leading up to the season premier tonight. My brother and I watched Battlestar Galactica’s original rendering in the ‘70s. Yep, my Battlestar addiction dates back to the days when Starbuck was a guy, and the Commander was better known for his role in Alpo dog-food commercials.

Here’s the scoop: the old show was campy and fun but this new show is genius. I’m not the type of sci-fi fan who’s hooked whenever a show throws down a couple of good special effects or a techno-gadget to inexplicably save-the-day. It’s the plotline of the new Battlestar Galactica that grabs me. The story is both exciting and relevant. It manages to capture the essence of a very human story. Uh, its just … its just …genius.

I know there is a lot of Battlestar hype out there. You’ve seen the Bringing the 'Battlestar' fleet home: 5 questions article in the Journal Star or the 'Battlestar Galactica': Why It Might Save Your Marriage article on MSN. Seriously if you are at all on the fence I recommend checking out the final season.

Latecomers can catch up on the last four seasons by watching an 8 minute clever synopsis posted by the SciFi Channel called What The Frak is Going On?

2 comments:

matt said...

Are you one of the final 5?

Yes, I love the show. Dani thinks I'm crazy. I watch it late at night, after she has gone to sleep.

Oh, And I watched it ALL DAY Friday! 8-5 Season 2.5.

Oh man I need a job!

Melissa said...

Ah-ha, a kindred spirit among the sci-fi crowd!
Can you believe its the last season!?!