Saturday, January 5, 2008

Urban Rooster

Rooster today, feather-duster tomorrow
Russian Proverb

About a week ago I was sleeping in. As anyone with small children can attest sleeping in happens rarely so it's a rather memorable occasion. I rolled over and readjusted the blankets when, from a distant space, my sleepy mind thought it heard a rooster proclaim the dawn. We live in the heart of Lincoln so our house is not on the outskirts of town. My bedroom window doesn't jut up against a feed lot or anything so, at thought of a rooster caw waking me up I giggled, buried my head under the covers, and went back to sleep.

This morning I was not in such good humor as I heard the rooster caw (again) at 6:30 a.m. I laid there listening to another three or four caws, and finally nudged my husband...

"Babe, do we have a rooster living in our neighborhood?"

"Mmmmm-huh,"groaned Brent, who was still drooling into his pillow, "two doors down."

I didn't know whether to die of laughter or stew in indignation. I chose the latter and looked up the animal control regs. Whenever I'm on an angry tirade I love the internet because, somewhere there is a justification for my anger and its just a few clicks of a button away. After about twenty minutes of searching I found Chapter 6 Section 04.040 of the Lincoln Municipal Code Pigeons, Small Animal and Fowl Permit Requirements. I blinked at the screen in disbelief. Long story short: my neighbor can house as many as three roosters on his tiny square mid-town lot. I re-assessed the rage v. laughter responses to the situation. I live next to an urban rooster and I, when I'm not trying to sleep, think its pretty funny.

_____________________

Happy New Year! As Brent, Naomi and I rang in 2008 we made several new year's resolutions. Many of them are already broken but among the still feasible bunch I wanted to write more often and to keep in closer contact with my friends and family.

4 comments:

Krista said...

That's hysterical! Welcome to the blog world. I look forward to keeping up with little Miss N and the family adventures! Cheers to the new year!

Eric said...

In St. Paul, while on bike rides, I often hear cawing from chickens and roosters in people's backyards. I think you can have up to 8 here. I fact a friend of mine is thinking of getting some chickens for their eggs.

Lincoln Writer said...

You crack me up, lady! Can't wait to read more. I'm really glad you're here ...

Sarah said...

Fabulous!!! I can't wait to read more:-) We wish we could see you guys more often!!