Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bold Behavior

I've never been the boldest person I know. It's not that I can't put myself out there I just don't find the occasion to do so all that often. I'm more deliberate than I am impulsive, really. Last year, though, I applied for a very occasional, part-time, online writing gig.

What did I have to lose, right? It's not like I was giving up my day-job, or at risk of foreclosure one way or another. The best case scenario would task me with writing more often and give that writing a sense of purpose. The worst that could happen was the editors saying, "No, thanks" to my resume.

And "No, thanks" is what they said, essentially, in the nicest rejection letter I've ever received. I've been shy about mentioning the whole deal. Not because I'm embarrassed so much as because the story doesn't fit the "bold move, big reward" narrative. 

But I'm a believer that taking risks makes the outcome less important. Sometimes bold behavior throws open the possibilities of this life in a way being scared or reclusive closes them off. Opening yourself up to the possibilities is its own reward.

No comments: