Friday, November 4, 2011

Wonkish Instincts

It can’t come as much of a surprise that I’m a boringly studious policy wonk, right? At one point, when N was an infant, I hired a babysitter so I could attend a public works meeting. Not dinner. Not a movie. A public works meeting. Here’s the kicker: it was a ~really~ good meeting. One I still recall with freakish clarity and an odd amount of fondness. Huh, I digress. 

My wonkish leanings don’t often come in handy but this past week they did. I was brought into a transmission route planning process at work which afforded the opportunity to geek out over Lincoln’s 2040 Comprehensive Plan. I drew up their GIS maps. I created charts and spreadsheets. I was just giddy with glee. 

At the other end of the public policy or the Comp Plan is a battery of services that affect people’s lives. Policies and public meetings lead to roads, bridges, schools, fire stations and social services. I have an affinity for the sort of lofty goals outlined in policies that guide staffing levels, public programs and budget decisions.

I spent the whole week wrapped up in Lincoln’s 2040 Comprehensive Plan and I was reminded of why I love Lincoln. I was reminded of how this community defines itself and how that identity plays out in terms of physical geography and an offering of programs or services. 

My inner geek, the one I’ve fostered for as long as I can remember, the one I spend a lot of time trying to downplay or apologize for, provided the speaking points. It was pretty darned cool.

No comments: