Friday, June 17, 2011

Tree Atlas


I had the forester urge to visit Central Park this week in the worst way. Evidently there is a newly published map which details each of the 19,933 trees in the Park. A couple of friends started with the idea of a Central Park book. Two and a half years, and forty thousand dollars later, the book idea morphed into a map. The two friends had marched over 500 miles in order to essentially create a tree atlas of Central Park.

Only about 150 of the original plantings from Central Park’s designers (Frederick Law Olmsted & Calvert Vaux) are left standing at this point. One of them is a black tupelo which dates back to 1862.


With storm damage and new plantings occurring all the time the Park and the map are a work in progress. Sigh. Keep an eye out for cheap flights to NYC for me, will ya?
I'm thinking fall would be spectacular.
_________
Quote of My Day: "Yeh, I would expect some rain delays with that." [Upon hearing that the College World Series will proceed on schedule despite the flooding along the Missouri River.]
Recent Goodness: Naomi has merged Harry Potter obsession with her interests in web development. She would love it if you would visit HarryPotterHopscotch.

Currently Reading: Packing for Mars (Mary Roach)

2 comments:

B said...

I *love* the things I learn from reading your blog!

Melissa said...

Aw, thanks! Hey, B, I saw on FB you have your bike out of storage. We should go riding sometime soon! I'm out of town this coming weekend (June 24-26) on a camping trip...but maybe over the weekend before July 4th?