Monday, August 30, 2010

Return to Sender

I've been working with a problem contractor at work recently. It's a situation that has preoccupied the last couple of weeks with tense meetings, written reprimands, contract language disputes, etc.

Today was the latest round of our meetings. It followed the usual script where I arrive with a list of what I need, what is and isn't done, and indicate that if these action items aren't addressed in a timely manner that we'll take the exit clause of our contract. I speak in a deeply serious and disappointed tone which I consider my Gillian Anderson X-files personae. No smiling.

At the close of today's meeting I recapped the action items, shut my briefcase, stood up to shuffle a couple of business cards around the table, then pivoted to leave the construction trailer.

"What's this?" I heard somebody ask. He held up my business card, flicked it around to show the backface which sported a brightly colored "Hi, Mommy!!!" written in my eight-year-old's hand. The business card message was complete with hearts and smiley faces.

"Ah, yes." I said. "Well, I guess that one's for me."

_____________________
Reading with Naomi: Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling
Weekend Soundtrack: Under The Falling Sky (Bonnie Raitt)
Thoroughly Enjoying: Eureka (Season 4)
Recent Pang of Feeling Old: When the Lincoln City Council Approved
a 2AM bar close, I thought "Ugh!"
Random Offering: I highly recommend reading THIS article about Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

No comments: