Thursday, July 29, 2010

Quote of My Day

So, Mom, I got to talk to a bridge engineer today....
-Naomi

Last week Naomi was part of Wilderness Camp through the local Nature Center. The campgrounds are inside of Wilderness Park and fashion a nature-curriculum that lands this gaggle of forty-some-odd kids outside all day hiking, catching bugs, crossing creeks, building forts, etc.

Excuse me as I state the glaringly obvious, but, Naomi had a fabulous (almost magical) time. I'd pick her up each afternoon and her hair smelled hot and dusty. Her mouth fixed in its toothy grin for hours afterwards.

Naomi was part of the team of campers on the Wilderness Park Bridge when it buckled on Wednesday. Nobody was hurt. Shaken. But not hurt. One girl twisted her ankle but after an ice-pack she was just fine.

The camp organizers called the parents immediately to let us know what happened, and also report that everyone was well and good.

I picked up Naomi that afternoon and sort of nudged around to get her take on the days events. I was trying to see if she needed to talk it out. When prompted Naomi readily gave up the goods on what happened. Though I had to chuckle because the days events were less focused on the bridge itself and more centered on the engineering team who came out after-the-fact to inspect the footings.

No comments: