Monday, December 28, 2009

It Helps Me Remember Just, You Know, Who I Am


Eighteen inches of snow. Fifty mile an hour winds. Everybody stayed home for Christmas this year. The news fell hardest to the under 10 years of age cohort at our house. No cousins. No grandparents.

But after her tears dried we had a dance marathon in the living room, strung some popcorn, played board games, watched movies and ate breakfast food for dinner. By Saturday my folks were game to host a get together. McK delivered homemade cookies & candies to his mom and sister. Sunday brought a small brunch gathering at my Aunt Carol’s house. Naomi got to wear her holiday dress.

Last night I was outside shoveling (hopefully) the last of the snow and considered my grandmother. The image of her at the dining room table for brunch. Even with the small group of six she was often confused as to who everybody was. Who’s married to whom? Who are your parents? Do you have kids? At one moment though Gracele teared-up and said it's so nice to see all of you here. It helps me remember just, you know, who I am.

I’m not often moved by merriment during the holiday season. The busy schedule, the shortened daylight, cold weather, expectations, the crush of consumerism…it all makes me pretty moody. But something about the snow storm, how everybody’s plans got jumbled up and the trimmings of the season fell down with the snow. It lightened my stance. Helped me enjoy the faces of my familiars.

Under the streetlamp shoveling snow I felt an unfamiliar urge to sing. Christmas carols. To no one in particular. So I did.


2 comments:

B said...

So lovely, Melissa! Maybe over the weekend we can see each other again?

Melissa said...

Thanks, Becki. I hope you had a lovely holiday with your family. This weekend? YES, you know it! I'm open Friday, Saturday, Sunday...name your preference and I'm there, lady!