Sunday, August 2, 2009

Long Day

3 a.m. - Naomi climbs into my bed. Lays down directly on top of me. Cheek to my chest. Her curly hair in my mouth. No explanation. Not even a mumble.

Eventually she rolls over. I vacate the bed. Tuck her under the covers next to McKibbin. I tip-toe into her room and climb between the sheets of her twin bed.

4:55 a.m. Naomi wanders around upstairs until she find me. She reclaims her own pillow. Exhales that heavy, rhythmic sigh of sleep directly on my face.

7 a.m. Already awake, Naomi has a whispered conversation with her stuffed bear in the bed next to me. Oh, she says with genuine surprise. Are you awake?

9 a.m. Pancakes.

11 a.m. Serve as tour guide for what is packed where in Naomi's suitcase. Some last minute revisions, noted omissions.

12 p.m. Target store. Random purchases.

1:45 p.m. McKibbin drives us to South Bend, NE.

2:30 p.m. Camp Kitaki check-in. Naomi meticulously makes her bunk-bed. She nervously situates and re-situates the contents of her suitcase.

2:50 p.m. My kid, who has perfected the art of good-byes after years of departures for outings, overnights, field-trips, play-dates and classroom environment...suddenly looks at her shoes, her arms limp by her sides, as we hug good-bye.

3:30 p.m. McKibbin pulls into the parking lot of a bar outside South Bend. He offers to buy me a shot of bourbon.

4 comments:

aworkinprogress said...

How many shots did you do, Mom? :-)

B said...

oh, heartbreaking! But you know that 5 minutes later she had 5 new friends, at least.

That's a great bar -- home of the Testicle Festival! Did you stop in?

Melissa said...

I declined the bourbon, actually. In retrospect I think "too bad". Especially if it's home of the Testicle Festival!

McK just held my hand and sat with me until I was ready to pull out. I'm sure she'll have a great, great time. Sent her with a disposable camera. Excited to see the film developed.

Melodee said...

sniff sniff letting go so hard