Sunday, July 19, 2009

Under Construction

Months ago McKibbin and I scheduled time off from our respective jobs this week. We had visions of traveling to the northern center of the state for the Nebraska Star Party.

Our vacation plans, however, were crushed by the construction zone of our cabin, and various odds 'n' ends around our house needing attention. Essentially we traded in a week-long road trip with canoes, campfires, a three-man tent and two telescopes for manual labor.

It sounds like a raw deal, I know, and someday I would like to attend one of these Star Parties. To be honest, though, I rather enjoy working with my husband. I like reading books outloud in the car together. I like the forward motion of working as a team. The way he jokes around in the aisles of Home Depot, or completely dismisses ill advice from hardware store clerks. He has a knack for these things. Diving into the project list gives me the chance to follow McKibbin's lead, or try to anyway.

Instead of packing up the car this weekend, and icing up food in the cooler for a week at Merritt Reservoir...I located my work gloves, and purchased the mega-sized bottle of ibuprophen. Though I would consider my purchase of cold beer to have stayed relatively constant.

___________________________
Recent Happening: Submitted an Admissions Application to UND Engineering College. Pending their acceptance, I'll start an online Civil Engineering degree program this fall. The duration of panic between filing out and sending in the application only lasted 2 days. Not bad.

No comments: