Monday, June 2, 2014

Pulling Back

I came across an old photograph recently. A morning portrait where I have a soup-bowl sized coffee cup in my hands. I'm smirking at my boyfriend who sits behind the camera. 

I remember that year, that boyfriend, but not that particular morning. 

Twenty years later there is a constant photo feed. Smart phones. Digital cameras. Direct uploads. And there are still mornings I won't remember clearly. It's the wash I remember. The peculiar habits. The fact that this particular boyfriend was a barrista. That soup-bowl sized cup of coffee would have been brewed to perfection. 

I have a long history of smirking at cameras which has naturally led to a series of unflattering pictures posted all over social media.  
  
I was looking at this particular photo and what I didn't know I wanted to say was 'Come here. Share sections of the newspaper with me. Let's cook up some scrambled eggs. Stay in this moment with me, please, please, don't pull back just to record it.'

No comments: