Sunday, September 8, 2013

Indian Summer

Blue River Lodge (Sept, 2013)
I dangled my feet off the dock and into a mud bottomed lake this morning. It was murky lake water that it seems everything disappears into. Feet dangling, coffee in hand, I closed my eyes and listened to this place. 

There's a difference between listening for something as opposed to sitting still enough to listen to a place. It's in the brain filters. Listening for something selects one sound, it disregards other sounds as noise.

I spent this morning listening to whatever came. Birds or bugs, the sound of truck tires on the gravel road, the wind kicking up dry leaves that are yellowing soon. 


There was an expanse in me that the outside world opens. A welcome sensation that I live in a large, complicated, noisy world. One that drowns out the chatter inside my brain. I felt grateful for the very air around me.

No comments: